Friday, November 4, 2011

Final Reflection for EDLD 5301 – What have I learned?

Before beginning this class I was unfamiliar with the term action research. Therefore, I thought it would be a topic to research concerning school environment or researching some facet of the use of technology within schools. Immediately after delving into Leading with passion and knowledge: The principal as action researcher, by Nancy Fichtman Dana, I knew that action research was nothing I had expected and everything I needed to help make improvements within my role as Campus Instructional Technologist. This book has provided great insight into the big picture of conducting an effective action research plan, and explains the role of principal in a way that I had never thought about or experienced in my teaching career. Only recently I have been fortunate enough to work for a “head learner” (Dana, 2009).
In chapter one of the Dana text, I found all of the examples of action research to be beneficial in understanding the benefits of this type of research. How true it is that, “Never a day goes by without at least one problem, issue, tension, or dilemma arising from a principal that beckons for the deep exploration and insights that the process of inquiry can bring!” (Dana, 2009, p.19) I find it refreshing that now, with the knowledge of how the action research process should flow; a difference can be made within a school that could potentially bring about change.
In week two, I found the videos from the different school officials to be beneficial in demonstrating the big picture of action research. I especially found Dr. Kirk Lewis’ interview very informative. From the interview with Dr. Lewis, it appears that his district is one in which action research plays an important role in the decision making process. I found his advice about “changing the way teachers deliver instruction” (Lewis, n.d.) a necessary component in changing how we do business within our schools if we plan to make a difference for students.
Lastly, the Harris, Edmonson, and Combs text book Examining what we do to improve our schools: 8 steps from analysis to action to have pockets of really great information. However, I did not understand how to fit my plan completely into the 8 steps the book discussed. I plan to go back and reread this textbook to try to understand with better clarity the 8 steps. One piece of information that I found very beneficial from this text was in Step 8. The force field analysis strategy was something I new nothing about but found that I definitely could implement this within my action research plan (Harris, Edmonson, and Combs, 2010). I feel that it will be an effective strategy to eliminate negative forces among teachers as I conduct my action research plan.
In closing, this class offered great information and I felt like each week offered new learning opportunities that will be valuable to me as I progress through the masters program.



References:

Dana, N.F. (2009). Leading with passion and knowledge: The principal as action researcher. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.

Harris, S., Edmonson, S., & Combs, J. (2010). Examining what we do to improve our schools: 8 steps from analysis to action. Larchmont, N.Y.: Eye on Education.

Lewis, K. (n.d.) Week 2 Interview 3 [web video]. Retrieved from http://lamar.epiclms.net

No comments:

Post a Comment