Saturday, November 19, 2011

EDLD 5363 Blog Reflection: Week-01 Digital Storytelling

Digital Storytelling is a great way for students to improve on their writing skills. It is a powerful tool to help students understand the importance in editing their writing in order to publish a product worthy of reading. It is also a powerful tool to use to reflect on past experiences.

This week my digital story brought back painful memories. What was shocking to me was the power that the photographs had in dredging up feelings that I had not allowed myself to express while my son was going through his cancer treatments. Looking back on the photos and writing our story about his journey with leukemia, allowed time for healing. It also brought to the forefront feelings I had not dwelled on during his cancer treatments because I didn’t feel like I could give energy to anything other than what was happening at the moment. In the preface of Digital storytelling cookbook, Joe Lambert said, “The students that share their stories in our circles recognize a metamorphosis of sorts, a changing, that makes them feel different about their lives, their identities” (Lambert, 2007, p. v). Prior to writing my story for this week’s assignment, this quote caught my attention. After writing my story and putting pictures with the words for this week’s assignment, this quote helped me comprehend the value and power of telling my story. I also believe that it can truly develop and stimulate learning experiences within the classroom. It can be a powerful tool that influences how students learn and how they share their knowledge with others.

Reference:

Lambert, J. (2007, February). Digital storytelling cookbook, 1-40. Story Center. Retrieved April 4, 2009 from http://www.storycenter.org/cookbook.pdf.

No comments:

Post a Comment